Doing your bit to help the environment doesn't mean that you have to make major changes to the way you live. In fact, many of the things you can do are very easy.
You might feel that small changes such as turning the television off instead of leaving it on standby won't make much difference to the environment, but imagine if everyone did this. Together, each year in the UK we waste about £3.5 million worth of electricity by leaving appliances on standby.
You can start making a difference to the environment, and save yourself money by doing just one of the actions listed in the Top ten tips. Of course, the more you do, the bigger the difference you will make so why not take a look at the links below to find out what you can do.
Top ten tips:
- Hang out your washing rather than use the tumble dryer
- Switch off your television, rather than leaving it on standby
- Replace light bulbs in your home with energy saving versions
- Replace one car journey a week with walking, cycling or public transport
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth
- Put a 'water hippo' in toilet cistern to reduce water used per flush
- Start reusing plastic bags when shopping
- Take showers instead of baths
- Turn the thermostat on central heating down by one degree centigrade
- Plant a tree, either in your garden or as part of a community forest
For help with reducing your carbon footprint, why not try this Carbon Calculator.