[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole


I have seen a rat in my/neighbours garden what should I do?

If you see a rat in your garden on just one occasion, there is generally no need to call us. Rats will come into gardens and houses for a number of reasons, primarily on the lookout for food. If you leave food out for birds, foxes hedgehogs or your pets then this will attract rats onto your property.

If you see rats coming from a neighbours property, please discuss this with them as they may already be aware and treating the problem. If they are unaware,encourage them to take action and have the problem treated. If they are unwilling to do this contact us for further advice.

If you regularly see rats or clear evidence of the presence of rats, such as holes, excavated soil under sheds, runs (rats usually use the same route and this smoothes the soil giving it a shiny appearance) or droppings, you may choose to use our Pest Control service.  or a private pest control company via Buy with confidence.

Please bear in mind that hedgehogs will often choose to nest under wooden sheds and may take rat bait. They will produce a shallow scraping to gain access rather than a distinctive round hole. Bait must be laid in boxes designed to prevent access by hedgehogs

Back to top

How can I reduce the risk of rats being attracted to my garden?

The following tips will reduce the chances of having rats establish themselves in your garden:

When feeding birds use a bird table or bird feeder, and ensure that any food that falls to the ground is cleared away daily. You may choose to stop feeding the birds in your garden for a period of time.

Don't leave food for foxes or other wildlife lying around on the ground in your garden.

Ensure that dog and cat food, is not left unattended and remove the bowls for cleaning as soon as they are empty.

Clean away spillages of food from rabbits, guinea pigs, birds and pet cages and where possible ensure that they are raised off the ground by at least 8" (20cms) and placed on a hard non porous surface to enable easy cleaning.

Do not put meat or other non vegetable/fruit food waste into composters and where possible use properly designed compost bins.

Sheds and outbuildings should be constructed so that rats cannot gain access, particular attention should be paid to any gaps around the door as rats can enter through very small spaces.

Overgrown gardens do not necessarily attract rats or mean that rats will be there - they need food and water as well as harbourage

Ensure that your drains are in good repair, that the drains are not broken and that inspection chambers are in good condition.

Back to top

How much does a rat treatment cost?

Charges are payable prior to treatment

Domestic Properties

£93.00 (inc. VAT) for a course of treatment up to 4 visits, thereafter an additional £15.50 (inc. VAT) per visit will be payable.

If you are in receipt of one, or a combination of, the following benefits treatment will be free (note: proof of benefits will be required and checked prior to treatment being carried out). Full rates apply to Housing Associations and landlords.

  1. Income Support
  2. Guaranteed Pension Credit
  3. Housing Benefit
  4. Council Tax Support

Commercial Properties (including churches and schools)

£75.50 per hour during duty hours (exc. VAT).

£112.00 Outside duty hours (exc. VAT).

£147.00 Sunday/Bank Holidays (exc. VAT).

£38.00 Additional visits (exc. VAT).

Back to top

How do I book / pay for the treatment?

Call 01202 261700 during working hours, (9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 4.30pm Fridays) where our staff will provide advice and make an appointment for treatment.

Appointments are arranged for either Monday to Saturday

  • mornings (between 08:00 and 12:00) or 
  • afternoons (12:00 and 16:00). 

We are unable to provide an exact appointment time.

Pay using credit (not American Express)/debit card when booking an appointment or by,

Cash or cheque (payable to Borough of Poole) on the day of treatment prior to it being carried out.

Back to top

What if I am a tenant?

If you are a private tenant (or tenant of a Housing Associations including Poole Housing Partnership) you can;

Pay for the service yourself as detailed above or,

If it is your landlord's responsibility, ask them to contact us to arrange treatment as detailed above.

Note - the full rates as detailed above apply.

Back to top

What do I do before/after treatment?

Our Officers must assess the need for the poison to be laid, and where it can be laid safely in a way that pets and children cannot get access to it.

Please make it clear when you call, and to the Officer upon their visit, that you have children or pets so the Officer can carry out an assessment of your circumstances and find the best location to place poison. Poison can be laid in specific hard wearing bait boxes to keep the bait safely away from your pets and children. It may not be necessary to bait within your garden. An alternative such as a neighbour's garden, with their permission may suit the situation better.

The poisons we use are for commercial use and can only be laid by a trained person.

Dead rats can be placed in your normal domestic black bin after double bagging it. It is recommended that you do not touch the rat, wear disposable gloves and that make you sure you wash your hands after disposing of it.

If a rat dies inside a property in a location difficult to access, the smell often only lasts a couple of weeks, and its impact can be reduced by use of an air freshener. If a rat has died in a location which is easy to access you can dispose of it yourself as described above.

Back to top

Contact us

Environmental Services
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF


01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700