[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Where to get help: Information for those experiencing domestic violence and abuse

Details of the help available to victims of domestic violence and abuse can be found on this page. A summary of this information can also be found in the domestic violence and abuse leaflet on the right-hand side of this page.

Outreach and helplines

National Domestic Violence 24 Hour Helpline 0808 2000 247

Poole Outreach Service

The Poole outreach service provides support to victims of domestic violence and abuse living in Poole. The service also provides a Pattern Changing and Freedom Course. You can call Poole Outreach on: 01202 710777.

You First Outreach Service (Dorset County)

You First Outreach Service provides support to victims of domestic violence and abuse living in the Dorset County area. The service supports female and male victims aged 16 and over in intimate partner or close family relationships. It is also available people who have used the service before and need further support.

You can contact You First Outreach Service on freephone 0800 032 5204 (not 24 hour). Please be aware that calls to 0800 numbers are not free from mobile phones and may show up on itemised phone bills.

More information can be found in the You First leaflet (PDF 308kb).

Return to top of page


Refuges can offer a safe place to stay for victims of domestic violence and abuse who need to leave their homes.

  • Poole Refuge: 01202 748488 (can take men)

  • Bournemouth Refuge: 01202 547755

  • North Dorset Refuge: 0800 032 5204 (You First single point of contact)

  • West Dorset Refuge: 0800 032 5204 (You First single point of contact)

As part of the integrated service, You First also manages safe houses within Dorset County, offering a safe place to stay for female or male victims of domestic abuse, those at risk of honour based violence (HBV) where a secure location is required or those with older children for whom a refuge setting may not be  suitable. Contact for these is via the single point of contact team on 0800 032 5204 .

Please note that the refuge and safe house numbers are all 24 hours and can be used for help and advice when needed.

Return to top of page

Dorset Police Domestic Abuse officers

  • Dorset Police's specialist domestic abuse officers can give you advice and can make referrals on your behalf to organisations that can support you. To contact them call Dorset Police's non-emergency number, 101, and ask for the Domestic Abuse Unit.
  • In an emergency (if a crime is in progress or life is in danger) always dial 999.

Under the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare's Law), members of the public can ask for information about the criminal history of their current partner. This information is released only at the police's discretion.

Return to top of page

Sexual Violence & Abuse

  • Dorset now has a Sexual Assault Referral centre - The Shores- which can provide support for anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Call: 01202 552056 (24 hours).
  • The Dorset Rape Crisis Support Centre can also support victims of sexual violence including access to Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs). Call: 01202 308855 (see website for operating times).

Child sexual abuse and exploitation

  • Dorset Action on Abuse offers counselling, therapy and emotional support for adult survivors of child abuse. Call: 01202 732424.
  • Acts Fast supports the parents/carers of sexually abused children. Call: 01202 797217.
  • NSPCC has a helpline for adults that are concerned about a child experiencing abuse, including sexual abuse. Call: 0808 800 5000.
  • Childline is a confidential helpline for young people experiencing abuse, including sexual abuse. Call: 0800 1111.

Return to top of page

Honour-Based Abuse, Forced Marriage and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

  • Karma Nirvana helps anyone experiencing honour-based abuse or forced marriage. Call their Honour Network Helpline on 0800 5999 247 during office hours.
  • The Forced Marriage Unit helps anyone who believes they are going to be forced to marry as well as anyone who wants to leave a forced marriage. Call them on:020 7008 0151 from the UK or: +44 (0)20 7008 0151 from overseas. (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm).
  • Southall Black Sisters advises those experiencing domestic abuse, honour crimes and forced marriage. Call their helpline on: 0208 571 0800.
  • NSPCC's FGM helpline advises anyone concerned about a child at risk of FGM. Call: 0800 028 3550 (24 hours).
  • The Asian Child Protection Helpline has telephone lines in several different languages (open 11am to 7pm, Mon-Fri).

Bengali-speaking adviser: 0800 096 7714

Gujarati-speaking adviser: 0800 096 7715

Hindi-speaking adviser: 0800 096 7716

Punjabi-speaking adviser: 0800 096 7717

Urdu-speaking adviser: 0800 096 7718

English-speaking Asian adviser: 0800 096 7719

Refuges and other services listed on this page are also open to those fleeing honour-based abuse, forced marriage and FGM.

Return to top of page

Teenage relationship abuse

  • Get connected is a confidential helpline for people under 25. Call: 0808 8084994 free (11am-1pm daily).
  • The Hideout website has advice tailored to children and young people who think they are in an abusive relationship.
  • Respect not fear is a website for young people with information on healthy relationships and where to get help if you are in an abusive relationship.
  • Childline has a useful website and helpline for children and young people. Call: 0800 1111.

Return to top of page


Return to top of page

For male victims

  • Men's Advice Line provides advice for men experiencing domestic abuse. Call their national helpline on: 0808 801 0327 free (Mon-Fri, 9-5).

  • Mankind advises men who are in abusive relationships as well as family members who want to help them. Call: 01823 334244 (Mon-Fri, 10-4).
  • Survivors UK supports men who have experienced sexual violence and sexual abuse. There is a confidential web chat support facility on their website.

Most other support services listed on this web page are also open to men and Poole refuge has space for a male victim.

Return to top of page

For lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender victims

  • Galop provides a National LGBT Domestic abuse Helpline. Call: 0300 999 5428 (visit their website for opening times).

  • Over the Rainbow is a local organisation supporting LGBT people. Although they don't have a specific domestic abuse service, they can offer counselling and help with things like sexual health and relationships. Call: 01202 257478 (answerphone when closed).

Other support organisations listed on this page are also open to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, including local  outreach services.

Return to top of page

For children who have witnessed abuse in the home

  • Childline has a website with advice and a helpline number. Call: 0800 1111 (24 hours).

  • NSPCC has a helpline for anyone who is concerned about a child's wellbeing. Call: 0808 800 5000

Return to top of page

For people committing domestic abuse

  • Respect has a confidential national helpline. Call freephone 0808 802 4040 (Monday-Friday, 9-5).

Return to top of page

Housing advice for victims of domestic violence & abuse

If you need to leave your home but have nowhere to go your local council's housing department can advise you on your options.

If you feel unsafe in your local area you can approach any council in the country for assistance (visit: http://www.gov.uk for contact details of councils in the UK). You will be asked to provide details of your situation and any supporting evidence of your problems if you have any. This could include details of incidents, information from your GP, the police or any other professional person who is aware of your situation.

Email: housingadvice@poole.gov.uk

Telephone: 01202 633804

Text Relay: 18001 01202 633804

Address: Housing and Community Services

Civic Centre
BH15 2RU

Return to top of page

Legal advice

Many local solicitors are able to help victims of domestic violence and abuse with legal advice and access to civil legal remedies. The National Centre for Domestic Violence provides an  injunction service and other legal help. Call freephone 0800 970 2070.

Return to top of page


Your case may be referred to a  MARAC (Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference) meeting. MARAC is a victim-focused process involving multiple organisations working together to protect high risk domestic abuse victims. You won't be required to attend the meeting.

Return to top of page

Domestic Abuse Coordinators

Domestic Abuse Coordinators can provide further information on the availability of local and national sources of help for victims of domestic and sexual violence but they are not able to advise on individual cases.

Poole Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Manager Lisa Dowry. Email: l.dowry@poole.gov.uk or call: 01202 223242.

Bournemouth Domestic and Sexual Violence Co-ordinator Rachel Young. Email: rachel.young@bournemouth.gov.uk or call: 01202 451326.

Dorset County Programme Co-ordinator (Community Safety) Ian Grant. Email: i.grant@dorsetcc.gcsx.gov.ukor call: 01305 228516. 

Return to top of page


The Safer Poole Partnership delivers training to public, voluntary and community sector employees in domestic abuse awareness, the MARAC process and many other related subjects. Visit the training pages for more information and to book.

Return to top of page

Other useful Contacts

  • National Domestic Abuse Helpline (run by Refuge and Women's Aid) 0808 2000 247
  • Victim Support Dorset  01202 606200 (Mon-Fri, 9am-6.30pm)
  • Samaritans  01202 551999
  • Relate (Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch) 01202 311231
Return to top of page
Please rate this page!