[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Scrap Metal Licence

Legislation regarding Scrap Metal Dealers and Motor Salvage Operators has changed.

The Act repeals the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and consolidates scrap metal dealers and motor salvage operators under one licensing regime.  Local Authorities will continue to act as the main regulator but the new Act gives Licensing Authorities more powers, including the power to refuse a licence or to revoke a licence if a dealer is considered unsuitable.  Both the Local Authority and the Police have been given powers to enter and inspect premises. 

Licence Summary

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 replaced the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and the Motor Salvage Operators Regulations 2002.

The new act places a requirement for all businesses involved in buying and selling of scrap metal to be licensed by the local authority and includes those who operate from sites and those who collect door to door.

The main legislation covering this permission is the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.

Under the new Act there will be two types of licence:

  • A Site Licence – this will be required where a business is carried on as a scrap metal dealer at a premises. A site manager will be required to be named for each site. The licensee will then be permitted to operate from that site as a scrap metal dealer including transporting to and from those sites from any local authority area.

  • A Collector’s Licence – this authorises the licensee to operate as a mobile collector in the area of the issuing local authority permitting them to collect scrap metal as appropriate. This includes commercial as well as domestic scrap metal. If a mobile collector operates within more than one local authority’s district, a licence will be required for each authority that (s)he operates in.

It is an offence to buy scrap metal for cash.  

Back to top

How do I apply?

All applications must be submitted with the correct licence fee. The application form contains guidance on the information that you are required to provide.

A Passport Photo is required for a Collectors Licence.

You and every person listed on the application form needs to submit a Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure Scotland. You can apply online for a "Basic Disclosure" with Disclosure Scotland and there is a fee payable to them. The basic disclosure shall be issued no earlier than three calendar months before the giving of the application to the relevant licensing authority for it to be considered as valid.

 Fees for Borough of Poole

  • Site Licence £1100.00

  • Collectors Licence £700.00  


Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent will not apply. It is in the public interest that we must process you application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Contact details

For more information contact our Licensing Team.

Back to top

Related pages

Contact us


01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700

Environmental and Consumer Protection
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF