[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Club Premises Licence

What is a club premises certificate

Definition of a qualifying club

Does the Club need a Personal Licence Holder to Supply or sell alcohol

Responsible Authorities

How do I apply

Further information

What is a Club Premises Certificate

This certificate allows a qualifying club to supply alcohol. It can be granted to members clubs that comply with the specific conditions e.g. members rules, run by club committees, profits go to members. The law for members clubs has changed relatively little under the Licensing Act 2003 and while there is no time limit on the duration of the certificate, it may be withdrawn, surrendered or suspended.

 Back to top

Definition of a Qualifying Club

A club is defined in section 61 of the Licensing Act as a premises that:

  • Has at least 25 members
  • A person who is admitted for membership must wait at least two days from nomination or application before enjoying the privileges of membership.
  • That the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • That alcohol is only supplied to members by or on behalf of the club.

If the club intends to supply alcohol to its members and guests the club must satisfy these additional conditions:

  • The purchase and supply of alcohol should be managed by committee
  • Nobody should receive at the expense of the club a commission or percentage deriving from the purchase of alcohol
  • Nobody should receive a pecuniary benefit from the supply of alcohol by the club to its members or guests.  

Back to top

Does the Club need a Personal Licence Holder to Supply or sell alcohol

Qualifying clubs have a special status under the Licensing Act 2003 as clubs holding a certificate are exempt and therefore do not require a personal licence holder. 

Back to top

Responsible Authorities

You need to send copies of your application to all the Responsible Authorities.

Note: For all copies sent to Environmental and Consumer Protection Services please clearly mark each envelope with LA2003.

 Back to top

How Do I Apply

To apply for a club premises certificate click here.

To apply to vary a club premises certificate click here.

To apply for a minor variation of a club premises certificate click here.

Back to top

Further Information

If you require further information about the Licensing Act 2003 you can contact us by e-mail or telephone and ask to speak to a licensing officer. Alternatively information is available on the Department of Culture Media and Sport Website.

If you wish to view The Act and associated Explanatory Notes they are available to view via the Office of Public Sector Information website or via the links on the Department of Culture Media and Sport website.

Back to top

Related pages


Contact us


01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700

Environmental and Consumer Protection
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF