[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Health & Safety at Work

Health and Safety at Work

We have a legal duty to ensure that businesses comply with the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and related legislation. We aim to ensure that work premises are safe for employees and visitors to them and that accidents are prevented wherever possible.

Back to top

Our responsibilities

We are responsible for health and safety in the following type of premises:

  • offices (except government offices)

  • shops

  • hotels

  • restaurants

  • leisure premises

  • nurseries and playgroups

  • pubs and clubs

  • museums (privately owned)

  • places of worship

  • sheltered accommodation and care homes

Back to top

Health and Safety Executive responsibilities

The HSE is responsible for enforcing health and safety at workplaces including:

  • factories

  • farms

  • building sites

  • nuclear installations

  • mines

  • schools and colleges

  • fairgrounds

  • gas, electricity and water systems

  • hospitals and nursing homes

  • central and local government premises

  • offshore installations.

Back to top

Joint responsibilities

Since 2009 the regulation  of health and safety in Poole has been carried out in partnership with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and our colleagues in the other Dorset District Councils and Bournemouth Borough Council.

This has helped us to maximise our resources and ensure consistency of health and safety enforcement within Dorset. It also means that officers from each authority are able to be the first port of call on ‘matters of evident concern’ in premises for which, traditionally, the HSE would have enforcement responsibility. The group name of the partnership is “Work Well Dorset”.

Our programmed interventions are based on priority topics and industries.

The area of work for 2012/13 will include:

  • builders merchants,

  • safe use of bedrails in care homes,

  • product safety and safe use of sunbeds; and

  • gas and related fire safety issues in takeaways. 

Back to top

Other Enforcing Authorities

Other enforcing authorities that cover specific areas:


Enforcing body

Road, highways and pavements

Highways Department (Local Authority)

Unstable/dangerous buildings

Building Consultancy (Local Authority)

Road traffic issues


Fire safety concerns in businesses and homes

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service

Roadworthiness of vehicles

Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/

Railway safety

Office of Rail Regulation (ORR)

Waste disposal, contaminated ground, some air pollution issues

Environment Agency

Treatment of patients in the NHS in England

Patient Advisory Liaison Services

Care of patients and users of health and social care services in England

Care Quality Commission

Employment issues, including bullying and harassment at work

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)

Repairs of council owned property


Contact details for enforcement authorities other than the local authority can also be found on GOV.UK.

Back to top

A-Z of Related Links for Businesses

Accident Investigation

Acupuncture Licence:

     Guidance for Tattooing and Skin Piercing

Adventure Activities


     Asbestos In Commercial Premises

     Asbestos In Residential Premises

     Danger Of Asbestos


Beauty Treatments Licence

Back pain

Better Regulation

Business benefits

Business Related Local Authority Services

Carbon Monoxide Safety Campaign

Care Homes:

     Care Quality Commissioning

     Residential care for adults

Catering and hospitality


Chronic Fatigue Syndrome


Complaint – Report an Incident

Compressed Air

Confined spaces


     Building Regulations

Cooling Towers

Cooling Tower Registration

Corporate Manslaughter

Corporate Responsibility

COSHH – Control of Substances Hazardous to Health


Disease Reduction

Display Screen Equipment DSE


     Equality and Diversity in Borough of Poole

Drugs and Alcohol

Electrical safety

Emerging Health and Safety issues

Entertainment and Leisure:

     Public Entertainment Licence


Environment & Waste

Environmental Health

Equipment at work


Event Safety

Expectant Mothers

Falls from height


Fire and explosion

First Aid at work

Flu Pandemics – advice to business

Food and Drink

Fork lift trucks


Frequently Asked Questions


Genetically Modified Organisms

     Food labelling

Glass and Glazing


Health and Safety Executive HSE

Health and Safety made Simple

Human factors

Infections at work



         Involving workers

Laundries and dry cleaners



Leisure industry

Legionnaires’ Disease

LEV Local exhaust Ventilation

Licensed activities:

     Local Authority Licensing Requirements


Managing for health and safety

Manual Handling

Metalworking fluids

Migrant workers

Motor Vehicle Repair

Moving goods

Muscular skeletal disorders


Nurseries and playgroups - HPA guidance on infection control


Personal Protective Equipment  (PPE)

Pubs & Clubs:

     Poole Safe

     Premise Licence

     Public Entertainment Licensing



Risk Assessment

Risk Assessment using IOSH Routefinder

Risk Education

Risk Reduction

Road safety – work related

School Trips:

    School information from Borough of Poole

Sickness absence

Skin at work

Skin piercing:

     Guidance for Tatooing and Skin Piercing

Slips and Trips

Starting a New Business in Poole




Temporary and Agency workers

Transport – workplace



Violence at work

Voluntary organisations


Work Well Dorset

Workplace health advice

Young people

Back to top

Related Borough of Poole Links

Back to top

Contact us

01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700

Environmental Services
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road Poole
BH17 0NF