[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Pleasure Boat Class B Licences for Poole Harbour

How do I apply for  Class B Motor Pleasure Boat licence?

Any person who wishes to be in charge of or navigate a pleasure boat/vessel for the purpose of letting it out for hire to members of the public or to be used for carrying passengers for hire, must obtain licences from the Local Authority.

Class B are boats that are crewed by a bosun and take no more than 12 paying passengers. Above are the terms and conditions which will be printed on the licence.

You can use these application forms to apply for the above licences.

The application forms are available in 2 forms to download:

  • a pdf version to print off and complete or
  • a Word version to download and type into which allows you to keep an electronic copy.

The licence fee for applications received on, or after, 1st April 2017 is £73.

The requirement for third party insurance cover is a minimum of £5 million.   

Boat Inspection fee additional - paid direct to the Council's Boat Inspector. Please read Pleasure Boats - Notes for Applicants.

We are unable to accept this form by email because it must have a signature. Please print the form, sign it and return it to the address below.

Return completed form to:
Environmental Services
Unit 1, Newfields Business Park, 2 Stinsford Road, Poole
BH17 0NF

Tel: 01202 261700
Email: environment@poole.gov.uk

Back to top

Do I need a Waterman's Licence to operate a boat licensed by the Borough of Poole? 

You will need a qualification in order to operate a Pleasure Boat licensed by the Borough of Poole. 

If you do not already hold a qualification recognised by the MCA (Maritime and Coastguard Agency) as being appropriate for a Category C water such as Poole Harbour, you will need to apply for a Waterman's Licence.

Back to top

go to 'apply for it' homepage