[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Child Work Permit Application Form

The law states that any child who has a part time job must have a work permit. Employment is defined as assisting in a trade or business carried out for profit. Work permits are specific to the child, the employer and the employment. If a child has more than one job they need to have a work permit for each one. It is the employers' responsibility to apply for the work permit

The work permit is issued by the Local Authority in which the child is employed, irrespective of where they live or attend school. Two copies of the work permit are issued to the employer, one should be retained by the employer as proof of registration and the second should be passed on to the child.

Children aged 13 years may only be employed in light work in specified occupations. There are specified hours of work for 13 and 14 year olds, and for 15 and 16 year olds.

There are certain prohibited occupations that children, from the age of 13 until the end of compulsory schooling, must not be employed in.

The form is in three parts:

Part A: Employers Application

You must specify the hours of employment. If exact hours cannot be specified please put the earliest probable start time and the latest finishing time. Employment during term time must not exceed 12 hours per week (Monday-Sunday). During school holidays hours may not exceed 25 hours per week (Monday-Sunday) at age 13 and 14 or 35 hours per week (Monday-Sunday) at age 15 and 16. You can

Part B: Parent’s or Guardian’s Declaration

Part C: School Certificate (to be completed by Head Teacher, Head of Year, Head of House).

Any delay in returning this form may make the employment illegal.

We are unable to accept this form by email because it must have a signature. Please print the form, sign it and return it to the address on this page.


Tel: 01202 262271
Email: integrated.services@poole.gov.uk

go to 'apply for it' homepage